New Zealand Government
Wellington City, Wellington
Senior Ministerial Writer (12 month fixed term contract and fixed term contract until February 2021)
- Deliver high-quality Ministerial servicing dealing with varied, high-profile portfolios
- Showcase your excellent relationship and process management skills
- Work in a fast-paced environment within a high-performing, supportive team
Ministerial Services is part of the Engagement, Communications and Ministerial Services (ECoMs) branch of MBIE. We support MBIE interactions with Ministers and their offices, managing OIAs, Written PQs and Ministerial correspondence,
Ombudsman OIA reviews as well as Departmental OIAs and the Estimates Examination and Annual Review processes.
About the role
A great opportunity has arisen for two Senior Ministerial Writers to join the Ministerial Writing team which supports MBIE business groups and Ministers. You will gain in-depth exposure to a wide range of policy and operational subject matter, working with stakeholders across MBIE, in Ministers' offices and externally.
Your core responsibilities will include drafting replies to Ministerial correspondence and preparing responses to OIA requests within the required timeframes, collaborating with business groups to source information and advice, and contributing to team processes to ensure consistent and quality service delivery across MBIE.
Senior Ministerial Writers are expected to:
- Provide sound technical advice to stakeholders and colleagues
- Collaborate effectively with management, subject matter experts, Ministers' offices and ECoMs and Legal colleagues to identify and mitigate risk
- Assist the team leader by providing quality assurance, peer support and coaching as required
- Contribute to a continuous improvement culture in the team through innovative ideas and a willingness to explore new operational delivery practices and approaches.
To be successful in the role, you will be:
- A strong writer and communicator, with excellent attention to detail
- Able to work well under pressure and to tight timeframes
- Comfortable building and managing relationships across a range of organisational levels and stakeholders
- An agile and critical thinker, able to assimilate new information quickly and weigh opposing viewpoints
- Highly organised, proactive and administratively proficient, with a can-do attitude and flexible working style
- Equally happy working independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Discrete and politically literate, with sound judgement.
Your work will involve the development of OIA, PQ and Ministerial correspondence frameworks and standards as well as providing support and training for Private Secretaries. This is a great role to implement quality assurance and drive continuous improvement.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Expert knowledge and experience across Parliamentary and Select Committee accountability processes
- Proven experience with Ministerial correspondence, OIAs and PQs
- Strong writing, editing and oral communications skills
- Understanding of government decision-making and operating procedures
- Proven ability to identify and understand customer needs and adapt style and language to meet them.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain constructive and effective relationships at all levels.
- Ability to set priorities and manage time effectively.
- The ability to lead and support continuous improvement within the Branch and across MBIE.
To find out more about these positions, please click on the ‘Apply' button below to view the Job Description. From there, you will also be able to register your details and submit your application for the vacancy which interests you.
For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be submitted via our on-line process. Please email [email protected] referring to MBIE/1469280 if you have any further questions.
Aplications close at 5.00pm on Tuesday 14 July 2020.