This position provides the opportunity for a strong passionate leader to lead the operational side of the section - managing the team, defining workloads, improving processes and lifting the overall performance by enabling a positive team culture, delivering results, assisting with making good prompt decisions. This 12-month fixed term position has come about due to the secondment of the incumbent within the organisation, who is still be available as a sounding board if required.
Environment Canterbury has the largest regional consenting team in the country, and this is an opportunity that doesn’t come along often. You will be a key part of the team effecting change in the organisation across 2021.
Working within the operational division of Environment Canterbury, there are a range of stakeholder relationships to manage between your team, the wider section and with members of the public and associated entities like Ngāi Tahu and industry bodies. Utilising your leadership skills, you will also assist with lifting performance and build on the positive team culture, while developing your team as leaders in the process and utilising your commercial acumen to drive successful outcomes. A thorough understanding of the consents process and the RMA would be advantageous.
- Be a strong people leader - empowering, developing and managing team members to deliver desired outcomes while embedding organisation values
- Translate strategic priorities into operational realities
- Ensure that customer perspective is a driving force behind decisions and activities
- Lead change through identifying and driving organisational and cultural changes needed to adapt strategically to changing demands, technology and internal initiatives
- Demonstrate the ability to successfully engage and communicate with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Utilise your affinity for younger team members to develop them in their careers
- Have a continuous improvement mind-set and be constantly looking for smarter ways to work.
- Proven experience in successfully managing people and teams, and preferably experience in managing people managers
- Proven ability to develop and nurture strong relationships with customers and tangata whenua
- Capable of identifying and implementing operational efficiency gains
- Excellent communication skills
- Tertiary qualification
- Be self-aware, resilient, decisive and able to see the bigger picture
- A flexible and agile approach - someone who is adept at juggling multiple priorities
- Practical experience working with the resource management/consenting area would be highly beneficial.
- Strong values
- Financial acumen
- Community focused
- Ability to challenge technical thinking
- Enthusiasm, drive and energy
- Organisation/Political nous
- Delivery focused
- Problem solver
If this sounds like you, click the APPLY button to send your CV and cover letter, highlighting your suitable leadership experience and fit to the requirements listed, or for more details call Andy Poulsen on 021 867 529 in complete confidence.
Please note that to be considered for this position you must already have the right to work in New Zealand and all the requirements listed above.