Mott MacDonald Ventures (MMV) is the Corporate Venture Capital (CVC) unit of Mott MacDonald. We invest in visionary founders that strive to enhance our Built Environment. The firm’s investments are strategically driven by our client’s end problems or opportunities. Sectors include construction tech, future of mobility, clean energy and AI/Robotics. We intend to grow our existing portfolio with ambition to expand further into the APNA Region (Asia Pacific, New Zealand and Australia)
We are seeking an Investment Associate to support our ambitious growth plans and help the MMV General Manager execute strategic investments in early-stage start-ups.
Primary role responsibilities will include investment sourcing,
full-cycle due diligence, building VC networks and developing a strategic understanding of what technologies are required to address client problems. This is an exciting and challenging role, which requires a motivated and enthusiastic self-starter who works on own initiative with light supervision. Confident and positive, high-energy, cultured, capable of easily interacting with senior management. Flexible and willing to get involved in many different aspects of the business as required. This will involve:
- Deal sourcing: develop stable, high-quality deal flow via VC networks, conferences, industry contacts and other channels.
- Work with the Venture Partnership Manager to analyse MM Clients’ needs through internal discussion and collaboration. Use these insights to guide deal sourcing and screening.
- Market analysis: perform thematic research on relevant sectors, spot future technology trends, and scan for start-ups that can add strategic value. This will include networking with peers in the industry, start-ups, CVCs and VC firms.
- Strategic due diligence: analyse each start-up’s strategic fit by cross-referencing Mott MacDonald’s client needs with each start-up’s offering. Identify start-ups that build products that combine with Mott MacDonald’s services to create new, game-changing solutions.
- Financial due diligence: carry out deep analysis of prospective target start-ups to support the screening process. This will include financial valuation and modelling as well as preparing investment memos for presentation to investment committee.
- Lead customer calls and work with industry/technical experts to analyse prospective investments, IP, and technology feasibility.
- Portfolio management: assist the General Manager to monitor the portfolio, assist portfolio companies and advise on potential exit strategies. Collect and analyse quarterly performance data to monitor the portfolio. Sit on company boards as a board observer where possible.
- Refine internal processes: make regular improvements to existing investment processes and update internal guidance notes to meet best practice.
- Manage: in time, as the Region becomes establish and grows, it is expected that additional analysts will be taken on. These will report to the Investment Associate who will need to have some experience of team management.
Formal Education, Certification or Experience
- University degree, college diploma or equivalent in Technology field, Engineering (or related discipline) or Management/Finance. MBA desirable
Knowledge and Experience
- Proven experience of a similar role in a CVC or VC organisation OR,
- Experience working in a sector relevant start-up.
- Experience in Open Innovation with a start-up ecosystem.
- Experience and technical interest in the Built Environment industry.
- Demonstrable experience in commercial and start-up valuations at different stages
- Understanding of underlying technology trends (AI, Robotics, Cloud etc.).
- Self-directed worker with a hunger for learning and insatiable curiosity.
- Ability to navigate and thrive in both corporate and start-up settings
- Detailed thinker with a flair for extracting insights from data.
- Ability to share complex information in a simple way.
- Comfortable working in a flexible and fast-moving environment.
- Ability to learn and apply new technologies.
- Actively listen and question to understand.
What we offer
- Competitive Salary for VC / CVC organisations in NZ.
- Opportunity to grow a team in one of the fastest growing VC investment areas.
- Opportunity to sit as a Board Observer on Portfolio Company Boards.
- Opportunity to develop a network within the New Zealand, Australia and Asia Pacific Venture ecosystems
- Opportunity to work alongside and support our UK Venture business
- Ability to choose and participate in industry and tech conferences across the APAC.
- Ongoing professional development through a BVCA membership and GCV conferences.
The role will report to the MM Digital Ventures Lead for APNA, and will be based nominally in our Auckland office, with the ability to utilise our agile working policy where agreed. There is a possibility of this role being worked from another one of our Australian offices, if necessary.
Mott MacDonald is a uniquely diverse employee-owned, engineering and development consultancy serving the public and private sector around the world. We are an innovative, digital and technology business and to support our ambition to deliver the best possible outcomes for our clients and citizens we have created a new region, Mott MacDonald Digital Ventures (MMDV), focused on broad digital innovation within the built environment. Mott MacDonald Ventures (MMV) sits within MMDV and is the company’s Corporate Venture Capital unit.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person’s differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence
Business development, Consultancy, Other
Digital, Management consultancy